Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Rules Instructor/Road Foreman you will educate, promote and monitor the safe work practices of operating crews for a given territory. Accountable for New Hire Train conductors and enhancing operating ability of Locomotive Engineers, ensuring effective and efficient application of CP’s operating rules, practices, safety policies and procedures which improve safety, prevent serious accidents, raise awareness and promote compliance.
- Perform locomotive engineer train crew field evaluations;
- Plan and execute remedial training activities for those found deficient through field evaluation and rules violations;
- Coordinate and delivery/facilitate all conductor new hire training including oversight of field level on the job training
- Assign coach and job assignments to trainees
- Validate with assigned coaches on trainee progress
- Coordinate and oversee of triennial recertification training for conductors and locomotive engineers in the area of responsibility;
- Perform field efficiency testing and other monthly safety requirements;
- Participate in local Safety Blitz’s with employees
- Participate and lead safety walkabouts
- Coordinate training / train ride activities with the Field Placement Coordinator
- Compile weekly reporting on training plans for new hires
- Complete qualification rides with new conductors and locomotive engineers
- Perform investigations (as required)
- Provide input to training course content in identified problem areas as observed in field evaluations and proficiency testing for educational purposes;
- Deliver any skills training required for conductor and locomotive engineers in the area of responsibility;
- Provide positive and constructive feedback to crew members during field evaluations
- Participate in new train conductor interviews (as required)
- Respond to and provide expert analysis of download for train handling exceptions, incidents and derailments and implement corrective training when determined required;
- Train and coach new managers to be able to download a locomotive and do the analysis
- Complete Critical Task sign off with new managers conductors / locomotive engineers
- Ability to cover Road Trainmasters territories (as required)
- Respond to Over the Road train delays and incidents (as required)
- Support local train operations as a Management Conductor / Locomotive Engineer (as required)
- Availability as required 24/7
- Must have a minimum of two years of experience or as required by regulations as a qualified and practicing railway locomotive engineer;
- Strong working knowledge of railroad operating rules and regulations including special or dimensional handling, TIH, hours of work and locomotive standards;
- Strong working knowledge of railway operations;
- Maintained CROR Rules qualification;
- Working knowledge of the relevant Collective Agreement and its application to locomotive engineers and conductors;
- Management/supervisory experience is an asset;
- Effective communication skills and ability to relay effective instruction to conductors and locomotive engineers as it relates to effective train handling and application of safety rules, practices, policies and procedures
- Able to prioritize work effectively and execute
- Able to perform duties with a sense of urgency
- Able to lead and create a collaborative team environment through respect
- Experience and strong facilitation skills;
- Ability and skill to coach and mentor train locomotive engineers, conductors and students.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
Relocation assistance will be provided as per the CP relocation policy.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").