Canadian Pacific (TSX:CP)(NYSE:CP) is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to eight major ports, including Vancouver and Montreal, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of Canadian Pacific.
We are currently collecting resumes for future openings in 2019. It could be up to 6 months before you are contacted regarding this position.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
You will be a member of a team performing moderate to heavy physical labour building and maintaining the track and surrounding materials. Duties can include replacing and repairing various track components including rails, railway ties, fences and adjusting the alignment and the surface of the track as well as responding to emergencies and track outages. Please note you will be placed in production or maintenance position based on operational needs.
View 'A day in the Life of a Seasonal Labourer' here: http://www.cpr.ca/en/careers/operations/engineering
- Moderate to heavy physical labour on an assigned area of track. This work involves:
- Pulling track spikes,
- Applying rail anchors,
- Shoveling crushed rock,
- Bending & lifting up to 50 lbs on a regular basis,
- Repetitive tasks
- An emphasis on safety is critical for all employees. This can be a high risk environment as you will be working around heavy moving equipment;
- Employees must remain focused at all times and be willing to work in a team environment;
- The work location is outdoors and, therefore, you will be working in all weather conditions (rain, direct sunlight, snow etc);
- This position works shifts; start times are set on a weekly basis and may change daily if required. Daily work shifts can start at any time, night or day;
- Will be required to be away from home and will stay in hotel with meal allowance provided;
- Work can be seasonal and employees may be laid off at the end of the work season. Employees will be called back as needed (and in seniority order) for the next work season.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Possess a High School diploma or GED;
- A valid driver’s license is preferred;
- A valid Class 3 license would be considered an asset;
- A safety-oriented work ethic supported by experience within the labour industry;
- The ability to follow instructions and rules and regulations;
- Ability to work as a valuable member of a team;
- Good written and verbal communication/comprehension skills are essential;
- Must live within province of SK.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety sensitive position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education verification
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").