Canadian Pacific (TSX:CP)(NYSE:CP) is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to eight major ports, including Vancouver and Montreal, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of Canadian Pacific.
- Use digital & analog multi-meters, oscilloscopes, and common electronic test instrument for the installation, maintenance and to diagnose equipment problems and failures;
- Troubleshoot Signals & Communications (S&C) equipment to circuit board level;
- Facilitate repair and return of defective circuit cards and components through equipment vendors;
- Use computers for diagnostics in troubleshooting electronic equipment, software burning, software uploading/downloading, downloading event logs, and other various functions;
- Test, inspect, and make necessary equipment repairs per S&C & Industry standards;
- Manage and document applicable CP test and inspection reports;
- Provide field & technical support as required in managed corporate data networks and in other S&C Maintenance territories;
- Acquire, apply and comply Railway Operating Rules; Safety Rules & Polices; S&C requirements and recommended practices;
- Become familiar with S&C circuit drawings and standards;
- An emphasis on safety is critical for all employees. This can be a high risk environment as you will be working around heavy moving equipment;
- Will be required to be away from home on an infrequent basis;
- Moderate to heavy physical labour. This work involves:
- Long distance driving
- Lift/carry, push/pull 50+ pounds
- Bending, stooping & standing
- Climb vertical ladders, stairs, ramps & getting on & off of track equipment
- Walk on uneven surfaces such as rocks for extended periods of time and for long distances
- Reach above shoulders
- Sitting for long periods occasionally
- Work at height on ladders, scaffolding occasionally
- Occasional exposures to dust, fumes and gasses.
- Technician or Technologist Diploma in Communications or Electronics from a recognized technical college;
- Valid driver’s license is required;
- A Class 3 license and air brake qualification would be an asset;
- Ability to respond for emergent work past normal working hour;
- Previous railroad experience is preferred;
- A safety-oriented work ethic supported by experience performing labour in an outdoor work environment;
- The ability to follow instructions, rules and regulations is essential;
- Ability to work as a valuable member of a team;
- Good written and verbal communication/comprehension skills are essential;
- Ability to travel alone and work independently at times in incumbent weather conditions.
- Also essential to this position is a desire to:
- work shifts and overtime (including weekends if necessary),
- work outside in all weather conditions,
- work away from home on an occasional basis, often in remote and isolated areas.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety sensitive; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education Verification
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").