Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
- Req ID: 75539
- Department: Operations West
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Kamloops, British Columbia
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 10-20%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 09/30/2019
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
SIGNING BONUS INCENTIVES:
- $15,000 offered to internal and external candidates provided they have 2 years or more working experience as a conductor or locomotive engineer
- $5,000 offered to internal and external candidates with less than 2 years of working experience as a conductor or locomotive enginee
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Assistant Superintendent you will ensure you drive your team to deliver efficient movement of traffic within the road territory and yard-terminal by developing, organizing and executing the daily yard-terminal/road operating plan in a safe and cost effective manner. You will further ensure the maximization of fluidity and daily compliance achievement of the Local Operating Plan and Operating Plan (LOP). This includes all processes related to arrival, classification, building, inspecting and dispatching of trains. You will have leadership accountability for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity, financial, and people development metrics. This is a leadership position that involves getting work done that delivers premium results, through a team of Trainmasters, Assistant Trainmasters, as well as yard and road union workforce.
- Drive and lead an efficient Operating Plan, identifying errors, reoccurring trends, and issues in Operating Plan;
- Optimize development of employees and assist in establishing career development plans, stretch assignments in order to further develop people in their current roles and prepare them for career succession;
- Coach the team on a continuous basis applying constructive feedback while reinforcing desired behaviors leading to optimal results;
- Create and manage a strong team of employees including determination of optimal numbers, recruitment of managers and union staff
- Ensure the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance and financial metrics through maximum asset utilization;
- Deliver solid results based on the inputs developed and executed consistently;
- Ensure safety plan process is rolled out and targets met. Participate and assist with safety and business plan roll outs across the region (pre-departure meetings, safety blitz, job briefing, etc.);
- Ensure optimization of assets and cost control through productivity of the business support functions. (i.e. clerical, Customer Service, Sales & Marketing, etc.);
- Ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements and CP policies; provide input to Labour Relations for future contract negotiations;
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies and maintain positive working relationships;
- Conduct safety related efficiency tests, train rides, and activities to support a safe, efficient operation. When required, investigate safety rules and policy failures, as well as health and environmental related incidents and repond for safe resolve;
- Ensure timely implementation of processes identified through corporate initiatives and ensure the application of CP’s safety practices, policies, and procedures by all direct reports;
- Maintain current certifications and licenses (i.e. Locomotive Engineer or Conductor Certification);
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is a safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessments. A qualification drug test is also required.
Information on Railway Medical Rules can be found at this link: https://www.railcan.ca/what-we-do/regulatory-affairs/railway-rules-standards/
The successfully recruited candidate will be pass a security criminal and background reference check.
This is a permanent, full-time position located at 95 3rd Avenue, Kamloops V2C 3L9. The compensation for this position is competitive $112,000 - $180,000, consistent with industry and position norms, and commensurate with your experience. Canadian Pacific offers a competitive flexible benefits package (Extended Health, Dental, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Life & Disability Insurance, Employee Share Purchase Plan, Long term incentive plan, Relocation).
Any questions regarding this opportunity can be directed to the Employment Centre [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] or (403) 319-6524. CP Headquarters are located at 7550 Ogden Dale Rd SE Calgary, AB T2C 4X9
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
See job description