Canadian Pacific (TSX:CP)(NYSE:CP) is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to eight major ports, including Vancouver and Montreal, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of Canadian Pacific.
We are currently collecting resumes for future openings in 2019. It could be up to 6 months before you are contacted regarding this position.
*Please note that the territory for this position is considered District 2 and covers areas between Thunder Bay, ON and Dorion, PQ.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As a Signals & Communications Helper you will work as part of team performing heavy labour related to railway signaling systems construction and maintenance.
- Trenching, cable distribution, housing installation, assembly of signal equipment, wiring of signal equipment, pole line work;
- Work with Track Renewal groups protecting the Signal & Communications (S&C) equipment;
- At times you are required to repair or replace damaged equipment;
- Moderate to heavy physical labour on an assigned area of track. This work involves:
- Signal equipment installation
- Install ground systems
- Electrical connection of rail reporting the color of the signal
- Climbing poles
- Pole line repair
- Walking on uneven ground
- An emphasis on safety is critical for all employees. This can be a high risk environment as you will be working around heavy moving equipment;
- Employees must remain focused at all times and be willing to work in a team environment.
- The work location is outdoors and, therefore, you will be working in all weather conditions (rain, direct sunlight, snow etc.);
- May be required to be away from home.
During this period, the employee will be classified as an S&C Helper at a rate of pay of $23.66 per hour. After completion of training, the employee may bid to a Signal Maintainer Apprentice position.
After completion of the program you will become a Signal Maintainer; accountabilities include:
- Test and verify the correct operation of Signal & Communications (S&C) systems and equipment on your assigned territory;
- Perform preventive maintenance on all S&C apparatus;
- Make inspections and tests as required on each device;
- Repair or replace defective devices;
- Investigate and locate problems or failures and take the proper corrective action;
- Plan own work and co-ordinate it with others;
- Ensure there is enough material on hand to permit work or repairs to be completed without undue delay;
- Install apparatus in accordance with prepared circuit drawings and standards;
- Make authorized corrections and modifications to circuits and enter the changes on plans;
- Prepare and submit reports, time sheets and handle general correspondence;
- This position is on call to protect failures in the off hours.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- High school or a General Equivalency Diploma is required;
- Valid driver’s license is required;
- Education or experience in Electronics/Electrical is considered an asset;
- Commercial Vehicle and/or air brake license (DZ) is considered an asset;
- A safety-oriented work ethic supported by experience within the labour industry;
- The ability to follow instructions, rules and regulations is essential written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work as a valuable member of a team;
- Good written and verbal communication/comprehension skills are essential;
- Position requires frequent travel in and out of province.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety sensitive all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education verification
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").