Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Specialist – Network Operations is a leader/service owner in a team responsible for the support, implementation, monitoring, and configuration of CP’s Network based infrastructure services. This position has a heavy emphasis on the design and operational support of Network Services including Firewall, Load Balancer, VPN, DHCP, DNS, SIP, SNMP, ISP infrastructure.
- Network Infrastructure Operations including:
- Performs support, implementation, monitoring, and configuration of CP’s Firewall, Load Balancer, VPN, DHCP, SIP, SNMP, ISP infrastructure in Canada and the U.S. in accordance with CP’s telecommunications strategy;
- Provides technology consult to various application and general infrastructure projects;
- Provides the oversight of vendor provided Network Services;
- Experience with Cisco ASA, Palo Alto, F5, Infoblox, Sonus, Avaya desired.
- Responsible for 7X24 operational support applicable infrastructure services;
- Responds to service outages with timely corrective actions as required and takes overall accountability for all complex LAN/WAN/Internet related Severity 1/major business impacting outages. Consults with Telecom Architecture, Design, and Project teams as required in order to resolve issues in a timely manner;
- Develops and maintains a consistent process and operational models to ensure timely maintenance of CP’s network services infrastructure;
- Understands, analyzes and evaluates service outages through troubleshooting & knowledge management. Collaborates with other internal/external service stakeholders for service related issues and provides proactive Disaster Recovery;
- Participates in On-Call support of the network services infrastructure;
- Supports the business in suggesting solutions to business problems;
- Works with the Telecom Architecture, Design, and Project teams to vet solutions and technology depending upon the size and scale of any new requirements or modifications;
- Leads/collaborates with CP’s Network Services vendors as required to ensure solutions are aligned with defined architecture and associated standards;
- Collaborates with F5 and Firewall vendors as applicable for service related issues, ensuring communication and timely usage of contingency and failover options (helps develop and maintain CP’s IT Disaster Recovery Plan);
- Has a strong understanding of short and long term telecommunications strategies and designs;
- Helps develop proof-of-concept models to demonstrate proposed architecture/design changes;
- Leads and/or participates in new service implementations;
- Creates documentation and guides users on how the various F5/Firewall/Internet services work & interact.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field is preferred or 10+ years of applicable experience;
- Cisco, Palo Alto and F5 certifications/experience required;
- In depth knowledge with F5, Firewall and Internet services;
- Strong experience with enterprise F5 and Firewall implementations;
- Strong experience and proven ability to troubleshoot with end users & vendors on F5, Firewall and Internet services;
- Strong knowledge and ability to triage services issues and be able to proactively initiate restoration solutions;
- Experience & understanding of how network services infrastructure interact with Voice Networks, and with CP and other vendor services;
- Specific in-depth knowledge of IP protocol conversion;
- Proficiency in information management concepts, information delivery architecture with extensive knowledge of LAN/WAN/Internet services;
- Cross-functional knowledge of how departments interact with one another;
- Cross functional knowledge of how LAN, WAN and Internet services interact/relate to VoIP, and Voice Networks infrastructure, and with CP and other vendor services;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to interact with various levels of management;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various levels of management, staff, and customers;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team;
- Adapt and overcome challenges;
- Ability to influence and persuade.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").