Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
- Req ID: 75526
- Department: Operations West
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 30-40%
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 12/31/2019
The Canadian Pacific (CP) Leadership Management Trainee Program may be a great next step for you and your career.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals willing to learn and develop their leadership skills and to lead and develop a highly effective Operations team.
This is a front-line leadership role at CP; aligned with CP’s foundations, values, company goals and vision. The successful management trainee will lead a diverse workgroup to safely and efficiently accomplish work assignments, drive continuous improvement and balance the operational requirements with team and employee development.
You must have the ability to relocate within the CP network to start and/or upon career progression or business need.
LEADERSHIP MANAGEMENT TRAINEE PROGRAM:
This intensive 6 month (September - March and February - July) training program begins with a one week introduction to CP where the Leadership Management Trainees will receive an in-depth company overview. They will then complete a 10 week Manager Conductor Training course, and a 10 week manager specific training package. Throughout their training, the trainee will be given the theoretical railway knowledge, practical hands on experiences, a sound understanding our CP’s best practices, and CP’s leadership training. This training is specifically designed to give a new employee the skills and tools necessary to succeed in their new roles.
- Develop leadership skills to engage employees in the management of Train & Engine Operating Terminals across CP’s Network;
- Available to participate and successfully complete a 5 month training program which all course material must be completed on time;
- Attend training at multiple CP locations which will require you to be away from home;
- Must complete and pass train conductor certification and be able to participate in the Management Conductor Program;
- Will work in all weather conditions;
- Quickly learn, retain and use railroad operating systems, applications and local operating plans to assign and manage workload;
- Be a safety leader through active observations, discussions about rule compliance and by implementing preventative measures through staff engagement;
- Effectively communicate with respect and professionalism to all internal and external customers;
- Have a sense of urgency, prioritize work and make decisions aligned with CP’s Values and 5 Foundations;
- Able to build trust and credibility through relationships of a team in new work environments;
- Demonstrate rapid development of Train & Engine operating capabilities for further career advancement;
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner;
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines;
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
- Must have the ability to relocate within the CP network to start and/or upon career progression or business need;
- High School Diploma/GED is required;
- Completion of post-secondary education is preferred;
- This is a shiftwork position and you must have the ability to work all shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays;
- Previous supervisory experience in heavy industry (transportation, logistics, supply chain management, military, airlines, mining, manufacturing, etc.) considered an asset;
- Proven interpersonal skills and motivation to lead others is required;
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and be mobile and flexible to travel;
- Must have the ability to problem solve;
- Proven time management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
Program location will take place throughout Canada, specific locations may include: Port Coquitlam/Vancouver, Golden, Fort Steele, Lethbridge, Calgary, Edmonton, Medicine Hat, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Barrie, London, and Montreal
RELOCATION WILL MOST LIKELY BE REQUIRED for final placement in a managerial position for the successful management trainee. The candidate can be relocated to any location across the CP system.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
see job description