Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail sersvice with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Assistant Superintendent you will ensure drive your team to deliver efficient movement of traffic within the road territory and yard-terminal by developing, organizing and executing the daily yard-terminal/road operating plan in a safe and cost effective manner which maximizes fluidity and achieves Local Operating Plan and Operating Plan (LOP) compliance on a daily basis. This includes all processes related to arrival, classification, building, inspecting and dispatching of trains. Leadership accountability for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity and financial metrics. The assistant Superintendent is a leadership position that involves getting work done that delivers premium results, through a team of Trainmasters, assistant Trainmasters, and yard and road union workforce.
- Drive and lead an efficient Operating Plan, identifying errors, reoccurring trends, and issues in Operating Plan;
- Optimize development of employees and assist in establishing career development plans, stretch assignments in order to further develop people in their current roles and prepare them for career succession;
- Coach team on a continuous basis reinforcing behaviors leading to results and constructive feedback that drives desired behaviors for optimal results
- Create and manage a strong team of employees including determination of optimal numbers, recruitment of managers and union staff
- Ensure the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance and financial metrics through maximum asset utilization;
- Deliver solid results based on the inputs developed and executed consistently;
- Ensure safety plan process is rolled out and targets met; participate and assist with safety and business plan roll outs across the region (pre-departure meetings, safety blitz, job briefing, etc.);
- Ensure the optimization and cost control through productivity of the business support functions. (i.e. clerical, Customer Service, Sales & Marketing, etc.);
- Ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements and CP policies; provide input to LR for future contract negotiations;
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies and maintain positive working relationships;
- Conduct safety related efficiency tests, train rides, and activities to support a safe, efficient operation. When required, investigate safety rules and policy failures and respond and act on safety, health and environmental related incidents;
- Ensure timely implementation of processes identified through corporate initiatives and ensure the application of CP’s safety practices, policies, and procedures by all direct reports;
- Maintain current certifications and licenses (i.e. Locomotive Engineer or Conductor Certification);
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- 10 years of railway operations experience;
- Experience managing unionized employees;
- Ability to learn operating systems related to train schedules, traffic co-ordination and scheduling for crews (online pick ups and set offs at customer facilities), operating train lineup systems and others.
- Must become Conductor or Engineer qualified and occasionally operate trains;
- Must be or become rules qualified (CROR -Canadian Rail Operating Rules);
- Must be results and safety oriented;
- Working knowledge of railway operations, terminal yard and over the road;
- Knowledge of and ability to conduct investigations;
- Must have a full understanding of your operating budget;
- Ability to set priorities and establish a game plan for action and execute;
- Ability to communicate with all levels (all media, including writing, phone, computer);
- Ability to build a solid team and influence the team to strive for success and move to the next level;
- Ability to provide service to customers and community;
- Willing to solicit different/new ideas and the ability to accept change;
- Possess and apply leadership practices;
- Ability to drill down, understand root cause and resolve complex issues
- This role works in a shift work environment and provides a rotating schedule with a rotation of days off throughout the week as well on weekends
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successfully recruited candidate will be pass a security criminal and background reference check.
This is a permanent, full-time position located at 1702 30th Avenue SE Calgary, AB T2G 5S4. The compensation for this position is competitive $112,000 - $180,000, consistent with industry and position norms, and commensurate with your experience. Canadian Pacific offers a competitive flexible benefits package (Extended Health, Dental, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Life & Disability Insurance, Employee Share Purchase Plan, Long term incentive plan, Relocation).
Any questions regarding this opportunity can be directed to the Employment Centre [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] or (403) 319-6524. CP Headquarters are located at 7550 Ogden Dale Rd SE Calgary, AB T2C 4X9
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").