NFI Parts, the parts sales and support for New Flyer Industries Inc. (NFI Group), is seeking a Technical Writer to join its growing international team.
NFI Group is North America’s largest transit bus, motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor. NFI Parts provides part sales and support activities, technical publications, training and support for its OEM product lines (transit buses and motor coaches). All buses and coaches are also supported by an industry-leading comprehensive warranty, service, and support network.
Join us as we continue advancing innovation and sustainable transit solutions that connect people with places. With 31 locations across the U.S. and Canada, and over 85 years of experience manufacturing buses, NFI Group is building on a solid foundation to drive North America forward with progressive transit technology that serves communities and makes cities smarter.
Don’t settle for a job when you can build an impactful and exciting career.
As a key member of our Publication’s team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining comprehensive and accurate technical information for use in our bus Service Manuals and Operator’s Guides. Under the direction of the Senior Technical Editor, you will develop service and operation information as required for manual publishing.
What you will do:
- Perform service and operator manual production writing work according to established procedures, ensuring tasks are completed within schedule deadlines.
- Research and understand the required aspects of a component, system and subsystem which is to be described and represented within the manuals.
- Interpret and understand associated source data such as Bills of Material, technical summaries, vendor documentation, photos, and technical diagrams and schematics.
- Review information for completeness and accuracy; liaise with engineering staff and parts suppliers for further clarification or new information as required.
- Develop new service information by extracting, translating, re-writing and transforming complex source data into simple English instructional text using established styles in current templates.
- Review text for incorporation or revising all applicable safety standards and codes related to the subject matter.
- Work with Senior Technical Editor to successfully meet all project priorities and deadlines while following departmental writing/editing practices and procedures.
- Perform and direct quality assurance checks on all work, and analyze and identify illustrating requirements.
- Certification/diploma in technical writing or a combination of education and experience.
- Three to five years’ experience as a Technical Writer in the Automotive, Heavy Equipment or Aerospace industry.
- Experience writing instruction information such as technical user guides and service manuals.
- Excellent command of written English language.
- Excellent computer knowledge of publishing programs such as Adobe Framemaker, XML authoring tools such as XMetal, and a good understanding of single source publishing.
- Excellent computer knowledge of MS Office Suite and Windows OS network.
- Very good understanding of electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical systems for heavy duty equipment.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and decision making skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and possess initiative to seek improvements.
- Motivated self-starter with capabilities to work within a fast paced team oriented environment.