Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
- Req ID: 76864
- Department: Operations Central Division
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Montreal, Quebec
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 30-40%
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 12/31/2020
The Canadian Pacific (CP) Leadership Management Trainee Program may be a great next step for you and your career.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals willing to learn and develop their leadership skills and to lead and develop a highly effective Mechanical team.
This is a front-line leadership role at CP; aligned with CP’s foundations, values, company goals and vision. The successful management trainee will lead a diverse workgroup to safely and efficiently accomplish work assignments, drive continuous improvement and balance the operational requirements with team and employee development.
You must have the ability to relocate within the CP network to start and/or upon career progression or business need.
LEADERSHIP MANAGEMENT TRAINEE PROGRAM:
This intensive 6 month training program begins with a one week introduction to CP where the Leadership Management Trainees will receive an in-depth company overview. They will then be exposed to CP’s core business by completing a 10 week Manager Conductor Training course, and up to 15 week manager specific training package. Throughout their training, the trainee will be given the theoretical railway knowledge, practical hands on experiences, a sound understanding our CP’s best practices, and CP’s leadership training. This training is specifically designed to give a new Mechanical employee the skills and tools necessary to succeed in their new roles. Upon graduation of the LMT-M program you will be relocated within CP's network as a Supervisor Mechanical in either the Locomotive or Car Departments.
- Develop leadership skills to engage employees in the management of Mechanical Operations across CP’s Network;
- Available to participate and successfully complete the training program with all course material completed on time;
- Attend training at multiple CP locations which will require you to be away from home;
- Must complete and pass train conductor certification and be able to participate in the Management Conductor Program;
- Will work in all weather conditions, irregular schedules, shift work, on-call, weekend and holidays;
- Quickly learn, retain and use Mechanical bad order processes, cycle time, dwell time, productivity and key metrics to assign and manage workload;
- Be a safety leader through active observations, discussions about rule compliance and by implementing preventative measures through staff engagement;
- Effectively communicate with respect and professionalism to all internal and external customers;
- Have a sense of urgency, prioritize work and make decisions aligned with CP’s values and five foundations;
- Able to build trust and credibility through relationships of a team and union officials in new work environments;
- Demonstrate aptitude of Mechanical operating capabilities for further career advancement;
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner;
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines;
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
- Must have the ability to relocate within the CP network to start and/or upon career progression or business need;
- High School Diploma/GED is required;
- Technical/Mechanical Trade education/certification considered an asset;
- Completion of post-secondary education is preferred;
- This is a shiftwork position and you must have the ability to work all shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays;
- Previous supervisory experience in heavy industry ( Railroad, transportation, logistics, supply chain management, military, airlines, mining, manufacturing, etc.) considered an asset;
- Previous supervisory experience leading a unionized workforce considered an asset;
- Proven interpersonal skills and motivation to lead others is required;
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and be mobile and flexible to travel;
- Must have the ability to problem solve;
- Proven time management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
Program location will take place throughout Canada, specific locations may include, but are not limited to: Port Coquitlam/Vancouver, Golden, Lethbridge, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, Winnipeg, Toronto, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, and Montreal.
RELOCATION WILL MOST LIKELY BE REQUIRED for final placement in a managerial position for the successful management trainee. The candidate can be relocated to any location across the CP system.
Operating safely is a core foundation of CP. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CP’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety critical position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required. This includes candidates participating in the Trainee Program who will also be required to pass a drug test during the training process before receiving final qualification for the position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
See Job Description.