Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
- Req ID: 77464
- Department: Strategic Planning
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 0-10%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 03/09/2020
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The real estate department serves as in-house subject matter experts for all things real estate at CP. Our department is tasked with optimizing CP’s real estate assets, supporting key growth initiatives and controlling costs by providing valuable real estate expertise throughout the organization. CP’s property holdings touch every segment of the industry from coast to coast and are located in some of North America’s largest markets. Every day will be different, from acquiring parcels for future rail expansion to negotiating leases with complementary industries in rail yards to selling surplus property, the real estate transactions you will be responsible for are diverse and unique to the railway.
You will be a key member of Canadian Pacific’s Real Estate department in Western Canada as Specialist Real Estate – Western Canada. You will be based in Calgary, Alberta and responsible for delivering revenue targets over $5 million annually and responsible for negotiating sale and lease transactions across your territory. You will be an organization-wide resource and work closely with the Manager Real Estate West out of CP’s head office in Calgary to execute an aggressive strategy to support CP’s growth.
You will focus on optimizing the return on real property assets through ongoing lease revenue, sale of surplus assets and strategic acquisition to support company growth. Your territory may include British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba. As a part of CP, your role will continue to evolve.
You will travel regularly throughout your territory.
What you have to achieve:
- Optimize return on real estate assets
- Implement multi-year sales and leasing plans
- Serve as subject matter expert throughout the organization
- Effectively implement property management strategies across your territory
- Be personally accountable for over $5M in transactions annually
- Enhance project implementation through knowledge transfer and collaboration
- Support internal teams with information, tools and insights
- Serve variously as collaborator and advisor regarding real estate topics
- Think strategically and find creative solutions to problems
- Negotiate to maximize returns and minimize risk
- Identify strategic sale opportunities to divest of surplus properties
- Negotiate real estate transactions and ensure accompanying legal documents effectively and appropriately capture the bargain
- Identify lease opportunities and drive for strong year over year increases
- Coordinate all internal approvals for transactions as may be required to ensure the deal aligns with the company strategy
- Embrace and implement direction from senior leadership
What we expect:
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in real estate, land use, engineering, planning, transportation or development related position.
- A professional undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited program.
- Experience negotiating complex transactions. Those with experience negotiating real estate transactions are especially encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity with land and corridor valuation methodology and market value determination.
- Knowledge of environmental regulations and land use policies and an understanding of how these may impact the real property asset.
- Strong, persuasive writer and critical thinker.
- Ability to understand and negotiate legal documents related to transactions.
- Strong visual communicator.
Project Management Capability
- Project management or project coordination experience.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work directly with clients, other consultants or partners.
- Ability to work independently and self-directed with internal motivation to resolve real estate issues.
- We are a rapidly growing Class 1 railroad in North America achieving record breaking results. Our organization is changing rapidly and the real estate department needs to be responsive to the changing needs of our internal and external partners. We operate in a fast paced environment where time is of the essence and you need to do what you say you will do. We are focused on achieving results and not afraid to work hard to see success.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
See job description.