Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
- Req ID: 75727
- Department: Information Services
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 0-10%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 09/20/2019
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITON:
To manage, plan, organize and optimize the accessibility and efficient operation of the train control and PTC systems in use in the Operations Centers, and in the field; to identify, evaluate and design potential improvements to these systems through the use of technology; to guide the development and implementation of train control and PTC applications; and to deliver effective and efficient training to CP’s Canadian and American personnel to enable them to meet or exceed regulatory standards and CP policy.
- Understand the big picture of data flow between various PTC and train control applications
- Analyze logs from various devices and co-relate the information for finding a root cause. Submit tickets to vendors for new issues and follow up with them on resolution.
- Stay up to date with new vendor releases and the functionality introduced with them to understand the impacts to CP operations.
- Provide ongoing training to the PTC desk analysts on existing and new PTC and train control applications.
- Create reports on incident and problem trends and address most frequent issues.
- Plans, determines and oversees the scope, objectives and functions of new PTC and train control applications
- Coordinates and participates in the formulation of detailed specifications for new PTC and train control applications, ensuring all necessary safety, technical and user requirements are met.
- Prepares detailed test plans to ensure the integrity and safety of new train control applications, and participates in the acceptance testing of these applications
- Participates in the design, development and implementation of new and improved PTC and train control systems, ensuring that required safety and technical specifications are adhered to.
- Communicate and share information with coworkers and customers.
- Maintains a current knowledge of the technology and methods of operational control employed in the transportation industry and keeps abreast of the latest developments in analytical and planning techniques
- Maintain subject matter databases in a current and timely manner.
- Deliver training programs as required, ensuring effectiveness of content and selected training strategies.
- Bachelors degree in Business or Computer Science is desirable
- 5 years’ experience with CP’s train or field operations, as an RTC, Dispatcher, field employee, in train operations and/or through development of train control systems
- Problem solving/Strong analytics
- Decision making
- Task management
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Must be able to travel within Canada and the United States
- This position requires on call support on a rotating basis
- Ability to working with scripting languages is an advantage
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
See job description.