Gerdau is the leading company in the production of long steel in the Americas and one of the major suppliers of specialty long steel in the world. With more than 45,000 employees, Gerdau has an installed capacity of more than 25 million metric tons of steel and it is the largest recycler in Latin America, and around the world, it transforms millions of metric tons of scrap into steel every year.
Gerdau Long Steel North America is a leader in mini-mill steel production and steel recycling in North America, with an annual manufacturing capacity of approximately 10 million metric tons of mill finished steel products. Through a vertically integrated network of mini-mills, scrap recycling facilities and downstream operations, the company serves customers throughout the U.S. and Canada, offering a diverse and balanced product mix of merchant steel, rebar, structural shapes, fabricated steel, flat rolled steel and wire rod.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, this position's primary focus will be to operate and maintain systems and equipment including, compressed air, high & low pressure gases, licensed water and waste water facility, chemical control system, natural gas system, heating and cooling systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, operate, inspect, repair and maintain pumps, compressors, piping, plumbing, valves, furnace auxiliary equipment, heating & cooling units
- Check and maintain plant fire suppression systems, hydrants, PIV and piping, water tower, process water lagoons
- Test, document, treat, maintain, repair and control potable, process and waste water systems
- Operate, inspect and maintain deep well pumping stations, recircuation units, chlorinators, and water softeners
- Test, inspect, maintain and repair high temperature gas burners
- Report deficiencies and potential deficiencies to upper management as per provincial and federal regulations
- Records water, chemical & fuel consumption
- Remove, clean and inspect air filters on HVAC systems when required
- Record and repair defects in tools and equipment
- Perform mandatory shift rounds and site inspections
- Creates and receives work orders and inspections for maintenance work required
- Reserves and orders parts for maintenance work
- Interprets blueprints, makes sketches and calculations as required
- Troubleshoots using testing equipment and own judgment based on knowledge of equipment
- Coordinates work with other trades
- Works in shop or field as required
- Keeps immediate working area clean and observes all safety rules
The ideal candidate:
- Will possess a Manitoba Power (Operating) Engineer Certificate - 3rd Class
- Experience in manufacturing industry
- Ability to work a rotating schedule (continental style schedule); 12 hour shifts
- Must be able to stand for long perids of time, use a wide variety of tools and possess an eagerness to learn
- Possesses strong communication skills, strong math ability and a good work ethic
Gerdau offers excellent benefits including:
- Health, dental, vision, short & long term disability, and life/accidental insurance
- RRSP with company matching
- Employee Assistance Program
Gerdau believes in equal employment opportunity for all and the importance of each employee and applicant as an individual. It is the policy of Gerdau that there will be no unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabilities, or other legally protected status. All external applicants must be legally eligible to work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.