Agilus is currently seeking a Specialist Hydro Mechanical Engineer for our client company based in Yellowknife, NT. This is a permanent, full time opportunity with a comprehensive benefits package.
As the Specialist Hydro Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for providing design and field engineering support services including technical support for the Company’s hydroelectric generating stations including supporting infrastructure. The Specialist Hydro Mechanical Engineer acts as the Hydro Operations conduit to facilitate best practises in coordination and cooperation with Asset Management, Project Management, and Engineering design.
• Support conceptual, preliminary and final Mechanical Engineering designs from basic to complex designs. Mechanical designs and analysis are for maintenance and capital projects and shall meet or exceed the latest edition of all applicable codes, standards and regulations.
• Provide specialist level mechanical technical knowledge, expertise, experience and field engineering support services for hydro assets including rotating, related and other equipment used for power generation including hydroelectric units (particularly turbines) and related auxiliary equipment (governors, hydraulics, gates, cranes, air or nitrogen systems, heating systems and cooling systems) and all other mechanical equipment. Together with operating staff performs hydro and thermal plant restoration as appropriate, makes emergency field repairs, troubleshoots, resolves complex mechanical issues, completes CMMS work orders and makes corrective recommendations through CMMS
• Support Asset Management, Engineering and Project Management with identification, planning, design and execution of capital projects. Occasionally prepares project briefs. Performs or supports asset condition and risk assessments and inspections and produces reports. Support capital projects by providing mechanical field engineering support services and technical expertise or performing commissioning or other duties during capital project implementation. May be assigned as project monitor for capital projects
• Provide O&M strategy, standards, processes, procedures and documentation. Responsible for effective integration of mechanical maintenance into CMMS and for its utilization and efficient use in the division.
• Develop mechanical standards as directed and provide advice and guidance on mechanical standards to the Manager of the Engineering Agilus.
• Prepare project specific commissioning procedures and Operations and Maintenance procedure manuals.
• Assist with the development and/or maintenance of hydroelectric mechanical design and maintenance standards for the safe and reliable operation of hydroelectric generating stations and supporting infrastructure.
• In consultation and coordination with Engineering and CAD team, may design and take professional responsibility, by signing and sealing drawings, for making alterations to existing plant that are not parts of a capital project. This includes, without limitation, piping for heating and cooling systems associated with hydro and diesel generators including water conveyance systems, fuel oil systems including tanks and pumps
• Update CMMS asset data, marks up or red-lines prints of technical drawings to
• Produce “as-built drawings” and send them to Engineering to update CAD drawings managed on central drawing management system to reflect changes resulting from maintenance work.
• Work safely, adhere to all aspects of the company’s Health & Safety and Environmental programs, comply with all rules & regulations, and continually practice health & safety while performing any duties.
• Ensure the safety of other employees, contractors and the general public in the workplace
• Participate in the continuous improvement of the Health & Safety program, Environment program as well as the company’s safety culture
• Mechanical Engineering degree and registered P.Eng, with eligibility to register with NAPEG.
• A minimum of 10 years detailed mechanical engineering design, analysis, construction and commissioning experience, preferably related to hydroelectric power generation. This will include conventional design and also a level of problem solving ability beyond standard issues.
• Knowledge and ability to use the latest version of 'AutoCAD' and other applicable mechanical software is preferred.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of the methods and procedures involved in the design, construction and commissioning of hydroelectric facilities.
• A detailed working knowledge of hydroelectric generation, facilities, projects and their components.
• Proven ability to perform troubleshooting and finding solutions under pressure during unscheduled shut downs of a generating station.
• A sound understanding of and skill in mechanical engineering activities for hydroelectric design, construction and commissioning purposes.
• Excellent and proven working knowledge of inspection procedures for all hydroelectric mechanical equipment that is operational in hydroelectric generating stations and supporting infrastructure.
• Computer skills to operate a variety of software related to financial, administrative and reporting systems, electronic mail, internet, etc.
• Good working knowledge of safety regulations and procedures.
• Above average verbal and written communication skills and ability to read and prepare technical documents in English.
• Ability to review, analyse and interpret highly technical information, designs, cost estimates and consultant reports, including operational feasibility for hydroelectric mechanical situations.
• Good analytical skills and the ability to diagnose mechanical problems and propose solutions
• Above average interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team environment and to work with a minimum of supervision.
• Must have a valid driver’s license
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply today! Please apply directly online at www.agilus.ca to job order # 97141 or, via email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
Please note that our client is an Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status to receive priority consideration.
Agilus would like to thank all candidates for their interest in this opportunity. Due to the volume of resumes we receive, we may only be able to respond directly to those candidates being selected for an interview.
We encourage you to visit www.dg.a regularly as new and exciting employment opportunities become available daily.