Gerdau Long Steel North America is a leader in mini-mill steel production and steel recycling in North America, with an annual manufacturing capacity of approximately 10 million metric tons of mill finished steel products. Through a vertically integrated network of mini-mills, scrap recycling facilities and downstream operations, the company serves customers throughout the U.S. and Canada, offering a diverse and balanced product mix of merchant steel, rebar, structural shapes, fabricated steel, flat rolled steel and wire rod. Gerdau is the largest recycler in the World. Each year, we transform millions of tons of scrap into steel that is used to build the future.
Why you'll love it here
At Gerdau it’s all about the people. Gerdau's growth is based on our purpose and on a vision focused on excellence. The measures of performance are customer satisfaction, the personal and professional growth of each employee, our communities, and the World. Our culture thrives by embracing diversity, encouraging innovation and creating products that serve humanity.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, this position's main focus will be to inspect, repair, replace, install, adjust and maintain mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives instructions covering the scheduled and emergency repairs, installation and inspection work to be done.
- Inspects equipment for defects such as misalignment, wear, insufficient lubrication.
- Determines the best way of making repairs to minimize interruption of production.
- Advises when immediate shut down of equipment is necessary to minimize damage or when temporary continued operation would have no harmful effect.
- Trouble shoots and repairs hydraulic and pneumatic systems and equipment.
- Assembles or aligns gears, bearings and shafts involving the application of press, sliding and running fits.
- Changes, sets up and adjusts equipment as required by current operating conditions.
- Interprets drawings and sketches.
- Dismantles, cleans repairs, replaces, installs, maintains, assembles, and lubricates mechanical equipment.
- Performs routine layout work, fabrication or repair of steel structures and components.
- Selects material in accordance with suitability for job and performs burning and mild steel welding.
- Operates simple machine tools such as drill press, pipe threading machine and power saw.
- Erects scaffolds and performs rigging as necessary.
- Prepares for workorders, records activities in CMMS
- Successful candidate must have Red Seal Certification or Provincial Millwright Journeyman Certificate
- Experience in heavy industry
- Exposure to PM, Hydraulics, VF drives, PLC's, welding, crane work
- Experience preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude
- Ability to work a rotating schedule (continental style schedule); 12 hour shifts
- Strong communication and work ethic, ability to work in a team and with other trades. Basic computer experience necessary.
Gerdau offers excellent benefits!
- Medical and Prescription
- Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
Gerdau believes in equal employment opportunity for all and the importance of each employee and applicant as an individual. It is the policy of Gerdau that there will be no unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabilities, or other legally protected status. All external applicants must be legally eligible to work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.