Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
Rotational Opportunity - Technical Accounting & Reporting Specialist
- Req ID: 75590
- Department: Finance & Accounting
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 0-10%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 11/30/2019
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
This is a unique rotational opportunity to leverage your technical accounting knowledge to assist Finance and business stakeholders in achieving their strategic objectives with the best accounting and reporting outcomes.
For the first year, reporting to the Director Accounting Policy & Controls, you will provide guidance on current and future accounting as it affects specific transactions and policies of the Company. You will ensure CP’s accounting policies are appropriate to meet business needs and practices, and unusual and complex transactions are in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and regulatory requirements. You will also be responsible for monitoring and reporting the anticipated impact to CP of emerging Accounting Standards and industry issues.
Following this assignment, you will move to Corporate reporting where, reporting to the Manager Complex Accounting, you will apply a more hands on approach to applying your technical accounting knowledge. In this role you will focus on supporting our treasury and other partners, in one of three core portfolios:
- Financial instruments, cash flows and hedging;
- Stock-based compensation; or
The rotation to Complex Accounting provides an excellent opportunity to gain an understanding of CP’s internal and external accounting and reporting systems and processes, while also allowing for the continued development and application of technical accounting knowledge.
- Provide guidance with respect to the accounting implications of unusual and complex transactions, including confidential transactions and contractual arrangements. As necessary, work with external auditors to ensure appropriate accounting is followed;
- Perform and document accounting research for specific transactions, and lead resolution of accounting matters which may involve coordinating cross functional participants;
- Review new significant contracts for potential complex accounting requirements and provide education on required accounting to Finance and business representatives.
- Keep current with new accounting pronouncements and prepare guidance to management with respect to their potential impact to CP;
- Provide leadership to, or act as key member of, cross functional team implementing new accounting standards and developing CP Accounting Policies, including providing training on these policies to Finance and business representatives;
- Assist with preparation of comment letters to standard setters for new accounting pronouncements;
- Organize Accounting Policy Committee, including preparing and presenting materials and recording minutes;
- Provide guidance with respect to accounting and regulatory requirements in relation to CP’s dealings with securities regulators and rail regulators, and assist preparation of responses to securities regulators’ comment letters;
- Review public documents to ensure that financial disclosures are appropriate.
- Accountable for the preparation and review of monthly/quarterly/annual financial analysis that supports consolidated financial results;
- Take part of month end close and external quarterly reporting, including preparation of the financial statements and/or note and discussion disclosures related to the position’s portfolio;
- Account and forecast for recurring transactions and maintain associated documentation;
- Maintain and coordinate improvements to specialized software or module utilized in the accounting and reporting process;
- Assess reporting implications of significant treasury transactions and draft related disclosures;
- Act as the key business partner for associated team relating to the position’s portfolio (e.g. Treasury, HR, or Operations) and communicate effectively the accounting implications of potential transactions;
- Implement process improvements that support a timely close and ability to report;
- Ensure financial reporting is in compliance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP), Tax or securities regulation, as applicable;
- Ensure accounting and reporting process complies with applicable internal control (SOX) requirements and maintain detailed job aids for position accountabilities;
- Identify, analyze and reconcile inconsistent information in order to recommend adjustments where necessary;
- Address and respond to queries from auditors and internal reviewers.
- Accounting Designation: CPA;
- Knowledge of US GAAP or IFRS;
- Communication skills both verbal and written;
- Ability to interpret complex accounting policies and accounting treatment and translate to business application; and
- Ability to work as a key team member and, as required, provide leadership to cross functional teams, obtain consensus / agreement on recommendations;
- Experience with ERP/SAP, BPC, Workiva, Solium, Nakisa and/or Excel is an asset;
- Possess a strong attention to detail and accuracy;
Ability to set and meet deadlines and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
See Job Description.