Canadian Pacific (TSX:CP)(NYSE:CP) is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to eight major ports, including Vancouver and Montreal, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of Canadian Pacific.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Supervisor Signals & Communications (S&C) Maintenance you will assure the safe and proper functioning of S&C equipment and systems, which in-turn provide for the safe and efficient movement of trains and equipment. This includes performing electrical and mechanical testing of S&C equipment, inspecting and commissioning new installations and revisions to existing S&C installations, and providing the data required for the submission of affidavits.
Provide safety leadership by fostering continuous improvement in workplace safety;
Approve the entry into service of new or modified S&C Communication’s systems (e.g. Voice recorders, Narrow band system, data circuits);
Provide and update information for Industry Canada licensing of radio base stations to Head Office;
Investigate and alleviate any radio interference on CP radio systems;
Perform and reports on electrical and mechanical testing of Signals and Communication equipment (both in service and spare’s);
Maintain comprehensive, up-to-date records of S&C equipment, installations and the testing and revisions performed on them. (e.g. Configuration Management 10East);
Coordinate activities to coincide with those of the maintenance and construction work force in order to maximize the overall productivity and efficiency;
Liaises with Regulatory Agencies and outside organizations such as RAC, Via Rail, CNR, WCE, Telus, Bell, local municipal governments, Transport Canada, Industry Canada, etc;
Coach junior S&C employees on technical aspects of their job as required;
Distribute S&C Alerts and updates Alerts database with field action taken;
Responsible for the day-to-day work activities at the Radio Shop;
Monitor expenditures and have responsibility for labor and material elements of O/M budgets and ensure that all S&C Maintenance charges are properly allocated to appropriate accounts.
- Must possess a minimum of a High School Diploma and an Electronics Technology Diploma from a recognized Technical Institute or equivalent;
- Must possess at least two (2) years railway or other relevant experience;
- Must have an understanding of Voice over I/P systems and the networking thereof;
- Must have an understanding of Fiber systems and telecommunication carrier systems;
- Demonstrated ability in Planning, Prioritizing and Execution to the plan;
- Knowledge and comprehension of IBEW Collective Agreement would be considered an asset;
- Knowledgeable on S&C Standards and Regulatory requirements;
- Working knowledge on S&C equipment & Signals Principals;
- Working knowledge of both Signal and Communication circuit designs, to assist in troubleshooting;
- Good computer skills and problems solving (Word, Excel, PP, SAP, CAM’s);
- Proven ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written;
- Leadership and strong interpersonal skills.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety sensitive; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").