Legal Counsel - North York, ON
Not Ready to Apply?
Report directly to the General Counsel, North America with a dotted line to the SC Country President. Legal Counsel shall provide services to Securitas Canada Ltd. ("SC"), Securitas Electronic Security ("SES"), Canada Mobile Guarding Service ("Canada Mobile"), and Securitas Transport Aviation Security Limited ("STAS").
- The functions listed describe the business purpose of this job. Specific duties or tasks may vary and be documented separately. The employee might not be required to perform all functions listed. Additional duties may be assigned, and functions may be modified, according to business necessity.
- All assigned duties or tasks are deemed to be part of the essential functions, unless such duties or tasks are unrelated to the functions listed, in which case they are deemed to be other (non-essential) functions.
- Employees are held accountable for successful job performance. Job performance standards may be documented separately, and may include functions, objectives, duties or tasks not specifically listed herein.
- In performing functions, duties or tasks, employees are required to know and follow safe work practices, and to be aware of company policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations. Employees are required to notify superiors upon becoming aware of unsafe working conditions.
- All functions, duties or tasks are to be carried out in an honest, ethical and professional manner, and to be performed in conformance with applicable company policies and procedures. In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of company policies and procedures, employees are required to request clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company representatives.
- Provide oversight and coordinate, integrate and continuously monitor legal matters in the Country to ensure the legal compliance and proper legal risk balance of the SC, SES, Canada Mobile, and STAS operations in the Country (including regulatory matters, corporate housekeeping).
- Provide legal analysis, advice and support to Country management and organization in legal matters relevant to the business as it relates to commercial law, contract law (e.g. drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements of all types), corporate law, public procurement law, and competition law.
- Develop a short and long term legal business plan and strategy for the Country and secure the Country organization's current and long term legal objectives.
- Develop and recommend policies, procedures and positions in legal matters and implement, maintain and develop such policies and procedures.
- Implement and maintain within the Country, legal policies and standard contracts issued by Securitas Group and North American Division, in cooperation with the GC and secure compliance of SC, SES, Canada Mobile, and STAS with same.
- Direct, manage, evaluate and develop Country internal legal department staff.
- Coordinate and manage all disputes, claims, litigation and arbitration, as it relates to the above legal matters, in the Country and report such disputes to Country management, North American Division and the Securitas Group. When required, represent SC, SES, Canada Mobile, and STAS in legal proceedings as it relates to the above legal matters.
- Identify and provide the needed information and training, as it relates to the above legal matters, within the Country.
- Coordinate legal risks within the ERM-process.
- Under the direction of the North America GC, coordinate and manage all acquisition and divestiture activities for the Country.
- Manage risk function for SC, SES, Canada Mobile, and STAS.
- Create and maintain a central database to house SC, SES, Canada Mobile, and STAS claims and litigation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5 plus years experience of legal matters relevant to the business and above legal disciplines.
- Experience working in an in-house legal department or law firm experience.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work with internal and external contacts.
- Must possess the necessary skills to effectively supervise staff.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize to support an effective/efficient operation and accomplishment of stated goals.
- Strong business acumen.
- Good judgment.
- Highly efficient and tolerant to stress.
- Proficient in use of computers and various software applications including MS Word, Excel, Email, PowerPoint, and document retention and/or claims-based software.
- Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario).
- Excellent knowledge of local laws (in particular laws relevant to the business).
- Beneficial to have advanced legal training in international, cross-border matters.
- Beneficial to have managerial, business, risk management or financial training.
WORKING CONDITIONS (Physical/Mental Demands):
With or without reasonable accommodation, required the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
- Maintaining composure in dealing with authorities, senior executives, clients, and staff, occasionally under conditions of urgency and/or pressure situations.
- Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, and behavioural selection survey.
- Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Handling and being exposed to sensitive and confidential information.
- Occasional use of vehicle required in the performance of duties.
- Occasional travel to various company offices and other locations.
- Reading and analyzing reports and data, including computer usage.
Securitas Canada celebrates diversity and we welcome and encourage applications from the four designated groups; namely women, aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Corporate Human Resources at or phone 416-774-2500 extension 2588.
| Base Pay:
| Employment Type:
| Job Type:
| Manages Others:
| Required Travel:
| Job ID:
|Not Ready to Apply?
For your privacy and protection
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective
employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of
monetary transaction. Learn more
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and
be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.